Thursday, April 19, 2012
Lionel Ladoire has been passionate about Japanese culture, admiring its aestheticism, attention to detail and excellence for many years. Particularly fascinated by the design of the Japanese Imperial Flag, Lionel wanted to pay homage to the Japanese people who, over the centuries, have always shown courage and positive strength.
That’s fair enough, however his choice of the Japanese Imperial Flag as his motif is controversial. The flag was heavily used by the Japanese in the conquest and the occupation of East Asia, it’s a flag that still strikes fear among the older generations of certain South East Asian countries, of which the Philippines is one. It is seen as a symbol of Japanese colonialism, largely because of the war crimes perpetrated by the Japanese military.
Nonetheless, Lionel Ladoire set himself the great technical and aesthetic challenge of creating this exclusive timepiece which required over 300 hours of work.
"Origin of the Sun" pays tribute to Japan, known locally as Nippon or Nihon meaning "the sun's origin". Indeed, Nippon/Nihon is written in kanji using the two ideograms 日本 , the first denoting "sun" or "day" and the second denoting "origin" or "root".
The latter is engraved on the crown side of the titanium case. Meanwhile, the platinum hand-cut display shows the Japanese Imperial Flag.
The watch will be officially presented in Japan during May 2012, under the high patronage of the Japanese Consul to Geneva.
This one off haute horlogerie creation will be sent to auction where 30 per cent of the sale price will be donated to the Japanese Red Cross for victims of the 2011 Tōhoku earthquake and tsunami.
Movement manufactured by Ladoire : Calvet/01
• «Calvet/01/RGT» 26 jewels, on plate : 9h 3h > 39.50mm
• Bridges of circular geometry with special red satin-finish painting
• Shaped main plate with cut-out and special red satin-finish painting
• Shaped main plate with special white mat paint
• Micro rotor up-lifted with two parts 15/2, Position 6 o'clock
• Balance at 8.40
• Escapement 15.1
• Optimised gear train profile
• Frequency 18,000 a/h (2.5Hz)
• Power-reserve 48 hours
• Hours, minutes, seconds. Time setting with the crown, position 8 o'clock
• Indication H, M, S by discs set on ceramic ball-bearing (Lubrication/OFF)
• GMT with fast correction position 2 and 4 o'clock
• GMT indication by profiled hand
• Bezel and back-case in White Gold with black PVD coating, case in Titanium
• Dimensions 9h 3h > 56mm / 12h 6h > 45mm, thickness 16.3mm
• Bezel sapphire crystal incurved with anti-reflection treatment
• Back-case sapphire crystal convex with anti-reflection treatment
• Water resistance 50 metres/ 165 feet
• Black full-grain hand-stiched calf leather, brass and silicone insert
• Articulated RGT buckle white gold and titanium black PVD